Tuesday 16 June 2009

O, Irony, where is thy sting?

(Cough) no-one look at 11th June, I said DON'T LOOK! After my protestations not only have I bought a new plant but it's Butternut Squash. What's the first thing a quick Google tells me about Butternut squash? They need space - a LOT of space (head in hands)

OK, deep breath, let me explain. I went to garden centre looking for a green man plaque for our fairy garden (didn't find one, will have to pay squillions in postage on ebay instead). I casually checked out the veg plants, looking for courgettes as an insurance policy in case my feeble looking specimens give up the ghost. I was also looking for something to augment the bean project in the front garden. A couple of borlotti beans are looking quite healthy but the others have bitten the dust. The pack says they can be sewn until July so I've planted a few more seeds in the hope they may yet come up with the goods.

I found a courgette then spied the butternut squash plant, I vaguely remember reading something about them climbing and being easy to grow so I added it to the basket. I must point out though that the veg plants were on special offer, £1 each if you bought 4, I restrained myself and only bought 2 so deserve some credit for that at least.

It was only when I got home and did my first tentative Google that I realised the enormity of the task I've taken on. With some help from Xanthe I've planted both the courgette and butternut squash in the front garden by the bean support. I have no idea whatsoever if this little project will work out or not but hopefully we'll have fun finding out.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm detecting an almost Willow-eske fixed grin for the camera there Xanthe.

    ReplyDelete