Thursday 30 July 2009

Cherry Plum Chutney


I love making chutney. I find the rhythmic chopping theraputic, generally put Radio 4 on and have a sloe gin to keep going. The bubbling pot steams up the kitchen keeping it nice and cosy against the chilly Autumn weather outside .... oh, hang on, we are still in July aren't we?

Plum and Ginger Chutney from Xanthe Clay's book 'It's Raining Plums'

900g plums
2 medium onions
700g mixed sultana and raisins
600ml spiced malt vinegar (or normal malt vinegar but add an extra pinch of allspice)
500g brown sugar
15g ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
45g salt.

Chuck everything into a big pan (de-stone the plums first), let it simmer for 40 mins til thick and jammy. Spoon into hot jars and seal with non reactive lids.

Xanthe Clay (didn't name my Xanthe after her, rather it's vice versa, I bought the book because of she had my daughter's name) describes it as not for everyone "with it's salty sweet sour flavour ... it brings to mind HP sauce." It does have a very strong, unusual flavour but I like it. Apparently it's good stirred into curry.

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy :) I love homemade chutney and can no longer eat chutney from the shops. though have not made some myself yet. Might try your recipe when there's a quiet moment ;)

    ReplyDelete